Oranges are one of the most common citrus fruits consumed in India, especially during winter. They are enjoyed for their sweet and tangy taste and the juiciness they contain. Oranges are one of the best sources of Vitamin C. Oranges offer numerous benefits covering health as well as beauty aspects. Let’s delve into their benefits and find out.
- Boosts Immunity– Orange is an excellent source of vitamin C. A single medium-sized orange can fulfill about 72% of your daily requirement for vitamin C. Researchers suggest that vitamin C plays an important role in strengthening immune responses of the body, protecting against recurring cold and cough or any other common infections. Since vitamin C plays a crucial role as an antioxidant by protecting your body against the damage caused by free radicals generated in the body, it therefore reduces inflammation in immune related conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Prevents heart disease– This is another health benefit of oranges which is attributed to its vitamin C level. Free radicals generated during various reactions taking place in the cells can trigger oxidation of cholesterol, causing the oxidized molecules to aggregate and stick to the walls of the arteries. This leads to build up of plaques that eventually block the arteries, causing heart attack, coronary artery disease or even stroke. Vitamin C in oranges takes care of these free radicals and neutralizes them, thus playing a role in preventing heart disease.
- Triggers brain development– Folate/folic acid present in oranges promotes brain development and keeps the vital organ in good condition. This nutrient present in orange makes it a healthy fruit for pregnant woman as it prevents the baby from having neurological disorders. Oranges also contain phytonutrients called polyphenols that play a role in development of learning and memory functions of the brain.
- Helps in Cancer prevention– Oranges contain a compound called D – limonene that has been shown to play an important role in preventing various types of cancer like lung cancer, breast cancer, skin cancer, etc. Also, the antioxidants in orange help promote the body’s immunity which helps in fighting cancer cells. A study revealed that about 10 to 15 per cent of colon cancer cases are caused by mutations in the DNA. These mutations can be prevented by consuming vitamin C rich sources like oranges.
- Prevents constipation– Oranges are a very good source of soluble and insoluble fiber, which helps keep your stomach and intestines healthy by preventing problems like irritable bowel syndrome. The fiber content in them adds bulk to the digested food and reduces transit time of feces, preventing constipation and straining. Also, due to its alkaline effect on our digestive system, orange helps to stimulate the digestive juices and thus gets rid of constipation.
- Prevents Kidney Diseases– Drinking orange juice regularly prevents kidney disease by reducing the risk of kidney stone formation.
- Great for Diabetics– Oranges are rich in fiber, and so when consumed they don’t raise the sugar levels in the blood suddenly and uncontrollably, which is very helpful for diabetics.Also, the sugar load or glycemic index of orange is not high, making it a preferred fruit for diabetics.
- Prevents hair loss– Orange has high Vitamin C content which is required for producing collagen which, in turn, is responsible for keeping the tissues in your hair together. Nobody likes bald patches on their head, and eating oranges can ensure that you do not have to part with your lovely hair as you grow older.
- Beautifies skin– Several beauty products including face packs, masks and creams that are available contain orange extract as a key ingredient. That’s because vitamin C present in oranges also helps prevent skin damage, by eliminating free radicals. Vitamin C, being involved in synthesis of collagen, an important component to maintain skin’s overall appearance and texture, prevents premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. Apart from vitamin C, oranges are packed with vitamin A that helps keep the skin membranes healthy.
Here are some ways; You can beautify your skin by using oranges:
- To bleach your skin naturally, mix orange peel powder and milk to make a thick paste. Apply it on face and leave it for few minutes. Wash your face with cold water.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of orange juice. Apply it on your face like a face wash. Avoid rubbing for long. Rinse your face with normal water. Vitamin C in the orange juice will add instant softness to your skin.
- Orange juice is also very efficient in solving the problem of enlarged pores. Dip a cotton ball in its juice, and apply it on face. Leave it for 1-2 minutes and then rinse it.